YEG MS Podcast- A podcast for people with Multiple Sclerosis
While I was training to run the first annual Really Long Run to End MS, I found that during my longer training sessions that I couldn’t keep listening to music. I tried audio books, but they cost money and when you’re running 3-5 hours at a time they don’t last long (and it gets expensive). Through a need for free things to listen to, I discovered podcasting. I listened to countless hours of podcasts throughout my training and discovered that literally thousands of people had discovered a way to transmit their own self produced radio shows around the globe. I became intrigued by the concept.
I began researching podcasts and discovered that they got their start through iTunes and the original iPod. Since they utilize RSS feeds for their syndication (to alert people that a new episode is ready), they became an extension of blogging (blogs use RSS feeds), which is something I was already very familiar with. I then started looking at what I would need to start my own podcast and, as it turned out, I already had most of the items required in my possession. All I needed was a microphone and a media host and I could start producing my own podcast.
Due to my experience with the Really Long Run to End MS and the interactions with other MSers which were of a result of the run, I thought why not create an MS podcast? Why not create a podcast for people diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis or people touched by MS to share their stories? So, I created an MS podcast based in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada where each episode features a conversation with either someone diagnosed with MS or someone touched by the disease.
How do I listen to your MS Podcast?
To listen to the podcast you don’t actually have to do anything special at all. Each episode will be posted on ownmultiplesclerosis.com as a blog post. The blog post will have an embedded player which you’ll be able to use to listen (now watch) to the podcast. So if you are comfortable coming to the website and listening here, it is just that easy.
However, there are other ways to listen to a podcast. You can subscribe to a podcast on your phone or tablet (or iTunes on your computer). Each time a new episode is posted, your device will automatically make the podcast ready for you to listen to. Here are some other ways to listen and subscribe to the YEG MS podcast:
- Using iTunes on a desktop computer- Open iTunes and go to the iTunes store. In the spot where you can change the part of the store you are looking at (i.e. music, movies, books, etc.) click “podcasts.” Then type “YEG MS” into the search bar of the iTunes screen. You will then see the YEG MS picture, click it to be taken to the YEG MS page in the iTunes store. Once on the YEG MS page, click “subscribe.” Thats it. Now every time a new episode of the YEG MS podcast is published it will be automatically added to your iTunes for you to listen to
- Using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod- Using your iPhone/iPad/iPod locate the icon that looks like this ” .” This is the icon for the podcasts app which is already preinstalled on your device. Click the icon. Once the app opens, click the search button on the bottom right (look for the magnifying glass). Search for YEG MS and then once the YEG MS picture appears, click it and then click subscribe. Now any new episodes will be automatically transferred to your device for you to listen to. This works great if you have bluetooth setup in your car and you want to listen to podcasts while you drive.
- Using the Stitcher Radio app on an Android Device (or iOS)- Download the “Stitcher Radio” app from Google Play (or the iTunes Store). When the app finishes downloading, open the app. Open the app and either sign in using Facebook or create an account. Once you are signed in, search for (look for the magnifying glass) “YEG MS.” Once on the YEG MS podcast page, click the “+” button to add the podcast to your playlists. Thats it, new episodes will now appear in the app.
- Using the SoundCloud app on an Android Device (or iOS)- Download the “SoundCloud” app from Google Play (or the iTunes Store). When the app finishes downloading, open the app. Open the app and either sign in or create and account. Once you are signed in, search for (look for the magnifying glass) “YEG MS.” Once on the YEG MS podcast page, click the “follow” button to add the podcast to your playlists. Thats it, new episodes will now appear in the app.
- Using the YouTube on any Device – Starting in December of 2017 a video version of the podcast will now be available via YouTube. This video will be embedded into the associated blog post so you can watch it there, go to YouTube, and search, “YEG MS,” using the YouTube app on your phone or tablet.
So whether you are using a desktop computer, an iPhone, or an Android device, you can easily listen to the YEG MS podcast.
How often will there be new episodes?
This will vary. Please subscribe using the app of choice (iTunes, Soundcloud, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube) to get notifications of when new episodes are posted. Typically there will be one new episode a month or more.
What do I do if I want to be a guest on the YEG MS podcast?
If you would like to be a guest on the YEG MS podcast, please email me at sean”AT”ownmultiplesclerosis”DOT”com (replace the “AT” with an “@” and the “DOT” with an “.” ; I do this to reduce spam). I’d be happy to speak with anyone who has Multiple Sclerosis or anyone who has had the disease touch their lives.
Please note: You do not have to be in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada for us to have a conversation. I can record the audio of a Skype or FaceTime call- so you can be anywhere in the world to appear on the YEG MS podcast.
To be a guest I don’t care if your views are exactly the same as mine. The idea is to get ideas out there and not have everything run through my filter.