BBQ Chicken and Sauce- I haven’t posted for a while. It is not because I’m not doing well, but rather due to a busy summer with work, kids, and attempting to get my running back on track. I also have my 20 year high school reunion coming up next weekend. I also haven’t posted a recipe on here in ages. A few weeks ago I BBQ’d a chicken and made the sauce from scratch. Since BBQ season isn’t over yet, I thought I’d share it with you.
What You’ll Need
- A full chicken (free range is preferable)
- Maple Syrup
- 5 Spice Powder
- Garlic Powder or Fresh Garlic (minced)
- Sauce Pan
- Tray for BBQ which can be placed on bottom grill and filled with water
First you need to make the BBQ sauce. Don’t worry, it is easy. Place the following in a sauce pan on the stove:
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1/3 cup of molasses
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- Either mince a clove of garlic and add or use a 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of tumeric
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Salt of pepper to tase
- Teaspoon of 5 spice powder (optional)
Mix the ingredients together and simmer with medium heat for 7-12 minutes.
While you are simmering the BBQ sauce, take your chicken out to the BBQ. Place the pan for the bottom rack (which needs to be bigger than the chicken) on the grill and fill with water. The pan is to keep the chick moist and to stop the BBQ from burning the skin of the chicken. I usually wrap the pan in aluminum foil to make it easier to clean. Place the chicken on the top rack of the BBQ and season (optional) with poultry seasoning. Light the BBQ and let it heat up.
By this time, the BBQ sauce should be ready. Go and grab the pan and bring it to the BBQ.
With a spoon, cover the chick with the BBQ sauce.
Depending on the size of the chicken and the BBQ it will take 2-2.5 hours to cook. Always make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through and use a temperature gauge if you are not sure.
Please note that if you are avoiding sugar or sugar cane, molasses is a syrup derived from Sugar Cane.
Latest posts by Sean (see all)
- YEG MS Episode 20; Fat Bikes 4 MS & Kevin Gest - January 30, 2017
- What works for one doesn’t work for all - January 11, 2017
- YEG MS Episode 19- Exercise, Marriage, and Multiple Sclerosis - December 6, 2016
- Geomagnetic Disturbances & MS, volume 3 - December 1, 2016
- Fatbikes 4 MS 2017!! - November 29, 2016